6/2017- present Vice Chair and Director of Research, Department of Ophthalmology
8/2015- present Professor of Ophthalmology, E. Ronald Salvitti Chair in Ophthalmology Research, Director, Louis J. Fox Center for Vision Restoration, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
2015 – Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin.
2013 – 2015 Associate Director , Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin
2012 – 2015 Chair of Graduate Studies Committee , Cell and Molecular Biology Program
2011 – 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2005 – 2011 Assistant Professor, Section of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2002 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. John E. Dowling, Harvard University.
1996 – 2002 Doctoral Research, Laboratory of Dr. David R. McClay, Duke University
1993-1996 Undergraduate Research, Laboratory of Dr. Phyllis R. Robinson, University of Maryland – Baltimore County
Education & Training
- Duke University, Durham, NC, 1996 - 2002, Biology, Ph.D.
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 1992 - 1996, Biological Sciences, B.S. (cum laude with Honors)
- Angileri K and JM Gross “dnmt1 function is required to maintain retinal stem cells within the ciliary marginal zone of the zebrafish eye” – Scientific Reports – in press (2020)
- Taler K, Weiss O, Rubinstein A, Seritrakul P, Gross JM and A Inbal “Lysyl hydroxylase 3 is required to maintain integrity and fate of lens epithelium” – Developmental Biology – 458 (2), 177-188 (2020)
- Seritrakul P and JM Gross “Genetic and epigenetic control of retinal development in Zebrafish” Current Opinion in Neurobiology – Current Opinion in Neurobiology. 59:120-127 (2019)
- Hanovice N, Slater K, Romanovicz D, Shao E, Collery R, Burton EA, Lathrop K, Link BA and JM Gross “Regeneration of the zebrafish retinal pigment epithelium after widespread genetic ablation” – PLoS Genetics – 15(1):e1007939 (2019)
- Bernstein CS, Anderson MT, Gohel C, Slater K, Gross JM and S Agarwala “The Cellular bases of choroid fissure formation and closure” – Developmental Biology 440(2):137-151 (2018)
- Siddam AD, Gautier-Courteille C, Perez-Campos L, Anand D, Kakrana A, Dang CA, Legagneux V, Méreau A, Viet J, Gross JM, Paillard L, Lachke SA “Celf1 is essential in vertebrate eye development for regulating fiber cell differentiation to achieve lens transparency” – PLoS Genetics 14(3):e1007278 (2018)
- Seritrakul P and JM Gross “Tet-mediated DNA hydroxymethylation regulates retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish” PLoS Genetics (2017) 13(9):e1006987.
- James AE, Lee C, Williams A, Angileri K, Lathrop KL and JM Gross “The Hyaloid Vasculature Facilitates Basement Membrane Breakdown During Choroid Fissure Closure in the Zebrafish Eye” Developmental Biology (2016) 419(2):262-272.
- Koenig K, Sun P, Meyer E, JM Gross “Cell Fate Determination During Eye Development in the Cephalopod Doryteuthis pealeii” Development Sep 1;143(17):3168-81 (2016)
National Institutes of Health (RO1-EY29031). “DNA Methylation and Hydroxymethylation During Retinal Development and Stem Cell Maintenance” Period 4/1/2018 – 3/30/2023. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (RO1-EY29410). “Elucidating the Molecular Underpinnings of Endogenous RPE Regeneration” Period 6/1/2019 – 5/30/2024. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (T32-EY17271): “Interdisciplinary Visual Sciences Training Program.” Period: 5/1/19 – 4/30/24. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (P30-EY08098): “Core Grant for Vision Research”. Period: 4/1/19 – 3/30/24. PI - Gross
National Institutes of Health (R21-EY28272). “Role of RNAi factor DUSP11 in ocular biology and disease” Period: 9/1/2017 – 8/31/20. PI – Sullivan (Gross – co-I).
UPMC Immune Therapy and Transplant Center Pilot Grant: “Identifying the Role of Immune Cell-Derived Factors in Retinal Pigment Epithelium Regeneration as a Possible Therapeutic Strategy for Age-related Macular Degeneration” Period: 3/1/19 – 2/28/21. PI - Gross
Bright Focus Foundation Glaucoma Research Program: " Identification of novel genes and pathways that protect RGCs from injury-induced death” Period: 9/1/20 - 8/31/22. PI - Gross