8/2015- present Professor of Ophthalmology, E. Ronald Salvitti Chair in Ophthalmology Research, Director, Louis J. Fox Center for Vision Restoration, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
2015 – Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin.
2013 – 2015 Associate Director , Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas at Austin
2012 – 2015 Chair of Graduate Studies Committee , Cell and Molecular Biology Program
2011 – 2014 Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Biosciences, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2005 – 2011 Assistant Professor, Section of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology & Institute for Neuroscience, University of Texas at Austin
2002 – 2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. John E. Dowling, Harvard University.
1996 – 2002 Doctoral Research, Laboratory of Dr. David R. McClay, Duke University
1993-1996 Undergraduate Research, Laboratory of Dr. Phyllis R. Robinson, University of Maryland – Baltimore County
Education & Training
- Duke University, Durham, NC, 1996 - 2002, Biology, Ph.D.
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 1992 - 1996, Biological Sciences, B.S. (cum laude with Honors)
- Hartsock A, Arnold V, Lee C and JM Gross “In Vivo Analysis of Hyaloid Vasculature Morphogenesis in Zebrafish: A role for the lens in maturation and maintenance of the hyaloid” – Developmental Biology – 394(2):327-39 (2014)
- Lee C, JB Wallingford and JM Gross – “Mutation in cluap1/qilin results in photoreceptor degeneration in zebrafish” – Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science – 55(7):4585-4592 (2014)
- Seritrakul P and JM Gross “Expression of the de novo DNA Methyltransferases (dnmt3-dnmt8) during zebrafish lens development” - Developmental Dynamics - Feb;243(2):350-6 (2014)
- Shine L, Kilty C, Gross JM, and B Kennedy “Vacuolar ATPases and their role in vision” in Retinal Degeneration 2013 (2014)
- Daly CMS, Willer J, Gregg RG and JM Gross “snow white, a zebrafish model of Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Type 5” Genetics Oct;195(2):481-94. (2013)
- Lee J, Lee BK and JM Gross “Bcl6a function is required during optic cup formation to prevent p53-dependent apoptosis and colobomata” Human Molecular Genetics Sep 1;22(17):3568-82 (2013)
- Lee J, Cox BD, Daly C, Lee C, Nuckels RJ, Tittle RK, Uribe RA and JM Gross “An ENU mutagenesis screen in zebrafish for visual system mutants identifies a novel splice-acceptor site mutation in patched2 that results in colobomas” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science – 53(13):8214-21 (2012)
- Hayes J, Hartsock A, Napier H, Link BA and JM Gross “Integrin alpha5/Fibronectin and Focal adhesion kinase are required for normal lens development in zebrafish” – Molecular Biology of the Cell – 23(24) 4725-38 (2012)
- Luo J, Uribe RA, Hayton S, Calinescu A, Gross JM, PF Hitchcock “Midkine-A functions upstream of Id2a to regulate cell cycle kinetics in the developing vertebrate retina” Neural Development - 7(1):33 (2012)
- Uribe RA, Kwon T, Marcotte EM, JM Gross "Id2a functions to limit Notch pathway activity and thereby influence the transition from proliferation to differentiation of retinoblasts during zebrafish retinogenesis"– Developmental Biology, 371, 280-292 (2012)
Ocular Development, Disease and Regeneration Laboratory
National Institutes of Health (RO1-EY18005-06):8/1/14 – 7/31/18.
“Genetic Regulation of Eye Development”
National Institutes of Health (R21-EY25831): 9/1/15 – 8/31/17
“Functional analysis of MAB21l2 mutations in MAC spectrum disorders”