- Valapala M et al. Impaired endolysosomal function disrupts Notch signaling in optic nerve astrocytes. Nature Communications.(2013), 4:1629. doi: 10.1038/ ncomms2624.
- Valapala M et al. Lysosomal-mediated waste clearance in retinal pigmented epithelial cells is regulated by CRYBA1/bA3/A1-crystallin via V-ATPase-MTORC1 signaling. Autophagy. (2014), 10 (3): 480-496.
- Shang P et al. The amino acid transporter SLC36A4 regulates the amino acid pool in retinal pigmented epithelial cells and mediates the mechanistic target of rapamycin, complex 1 signaling.Aging Cell.(2017), 16 (2): 349-359.
- Ghosh S et al. Activating AKT2/NFkB/LCN-2 axis elicits inflammatory response in age-related macular degeneration. The Journal of Pathology. (2017), 241(5): 583-588.
- Wang J et al.ATAC-Seq analysis reveals a widespread decrease of chromatin accessibility in age-related macular degeneration. Nature Communications. (2018), In Press.
Invited Review articles
- Whitcup SM et al. The role of the immune response in age-related macular degeneration. International Journal of Inflammation, (2013); 2013, 348092.
- Zigler, Jr. JS et al. bA3/A1-crystallin: more than a lens protein. Progress in Retinal and Eye Research. (2015) 44C: 62-85.
- Zigler, Jr. JS et al. bA3/A1-crystallin and persistent fetal vasculature (PFV) disease of the eye. BBA-General Subjects. (2016) 1860 (Pt. B): 287-298.
- Sinha D et al. Lysosomes: regulators of autophagy in the retinal pigmented epithelium. Experimental Eye Research. (2016) 144: 46-53.
- Ferrington D et al. Potential defects in RPE in proteolysis and AMD pathology. Progress in Retinal and Eye Research. (2016); 51: 69-89.
Research Interest Summary
Our laboratory is interested in understanding the role of glia and glia-like cells (retinal pigmented epithelium) in ocular health and disease. We use genetically engineered mouse and spontaneous mutant rat models as tools to decipher functions of these cells in health and disease. The diseases we focus on are (1) Persistent Fetal Vasculature (PFV) and (2) Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD).
Imran A. Bhutto, MD, Ph.D. (Research Assistant Professor)
Stacey Hose, B.A. (Laboratory Manager)
Peng Shang, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Research Associate)
Meysam Yazdankhah, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Research Associate)
Nadezda Stepicheva, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Research Associate)
Sayan Ghosh, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Research Associate)